This is my latest re-fashion project, Ladybug Bag. You know me for some re-fashioning projects, usually from adult clothes into toddler clothes. Few days ago, I wanted to try different re-fashion. I tried to repurpose a baby top/shirt into a mini tote bag.
Above was how the baby top looked like. It was once Zakiyya's top. Its size was 9-12 months, and of course it didn't fit her anymore. It has cute pink-yellow-green ladybug pattern, and I could not stand to change it into a cute mini tote bag
What you need :
- An unused baby top (a cotton top is better)
- Batting (if needed)
- Cotton fabric for lining and handle
- Matching threads
How to make :
1.If your baby top has any back button, take it off and sew together the button placket
2. Trace the baby top front and back into a batting or fusible batting (if needed). You can make the bodice without batting. It is totally up to you. I prefer using batting because it will give my bag more shape and structure that I need
3. Lining :
- Trace the pattern of front and back bodice into pattern paper. Use the pattern to make the bag's lining. I made the lining's side seams and bottom seams smaller than the bag bodice. I add a 3/8 seam allowance at neckline
- With wrong side together, sew the lining at shoulder seams, side seams and bottom seam. Leave the sleeves un-stitched, zigzag raw edge
4. Join the lining and bodice :
- Insert the lining into the bag's bodice, wrong side together.
- Make sure the lining's seam allowance is folded inside, and then pin the bodice and lining together at neckline. At this point, I still leave the sleeves unstitched
- Topstitch along the neckline
5. Bag Handles
- Cut two strips of fabric, each measurement is 6 x 44 cm
- Fold the strip at half lengthwise, then fold its seam allowance 1 cm. Meet them at wrong side. Topstitch along the edge. Do the same with another strip of fabric
- Pin each edge of a bag handle at 5 cm from shoulder seam, right beside the front neckline. Do the same method with another bag handle
Off you go, mini tote bag ! I used it to bring my prayer set to office, and got many compliments. Everyone did not believe that it was made from my daughter's baby top.
p.s I link this post into some of these famous link parties