I owe you patterns of this Balloon Dress that I promised to post last week. So I pay my promise now, with a short tutorial and patterns about making this dress :)
- Fusible Interfacing
How To Make :
2. Cut Upper Pieces Front and Back. If you want to add MORE shape onto your dress, you can add fusible interfacing on the neck and sleeve area. And then sew it on right & left side :
The wrong side of the lining pieces will be on the front
Armholes & Necklines
Stitch the armholes & neckline :
- Front outer-piece with front lining-piece, and back outer-piece with back lining-piece
I mean, I sew the front armholes & necklines separately from back armholes & necklines
- Please be patient, in my version I haven't sew the shoulder seams. I need to let them separated to turn the dress inside out
Don't forget to make button closure with any scrap left from upper fabric :
- Cut the fabric scraps into a tiny bias tape; width approximately 2 cm, length +/- 6 cm
- Fold it into 4 pieces and iron it, as any bias tape tutorial in this world says
- The last thing is top-stitching your tiny button closure
- Place it between back upper piece and back lining piece, and sew the back closure
4. Turning The Dress
- Turn the dress inside-out.
- I sew the shoulder seams, that is between front outer-fabric and back outer-fabric , and between front lining-fabric and back lining-fabric. I recommend using slip stitches/blind stitches for sewing the shoulder seams.
- After all the shoulder seams are done, you can top-stitch the armholes and necklines
5. Making Ruffled hem
- Gather hem of upper/outer fabric (back and front) with (very) loose stitches and make ruffles
stitches/blind stitches. I hand-sew the slip/blind stitches. It is a little frustrating, but it worths the wait
And finish !!
The patterns (I didn't include any sewing allowances in my patterns, so please add 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch sewing allowance yourself) :
- Basic Balloon Dress Front Lining Patterns
- Basic Balloon Dress Front Upper Patterns
- Basic Balloon Dress Back Lining Patterns
- Basic Balloon Dress Back Upper Patterns
To download, right-click your mouse and choose "save link as"